The Mountain Lion operating system included a "gatekeeper" security feature that is causing this error message. You can use the following steps to complete your installation.
- Double-click on the SoftChalk 10 icon on your desktop. (If you don't see an icon, double-click on the installer file which is called SoftChalk10-Mac.zip.)
- Click Ok for the error message, "SoftChalk10.app" can't be opened because it was not downloaded from the Mac App Store.
- At the top left corner of your screen, select your Apple menu and select System Preferences/Security & Privacy/General tab.
- In the lower left corner of this screen, click the lock icon to unlock this screen. (You may have to enter a password.)
- For the option Allow applications downloaded from, select Mac App Store and identified developers.
- Double-click on your SoftChalk icon on your desktop.
- Click Open at the screen telling you that SoftChalk9 is an application downloaded from the Internet.
Once you have started SoftChalk one time, you can re-set your preferences in the Security & Privacy area back to Mac App store if you like.
If you do not want to change your Mac Security settings, or you do not have administrator rights at this computer and can't change security settings, you can allow an individual application from an unknown developer by control-clicking its icon and selecting Open. You will get a message "Softchalk9.app is not from the Mac App Store. Are you sure you want to open it? Click Open and the bottom of the window.